Panel: The future of content distribution
Wednesday 21 October 2020
09:20 – 10:00
- How many content owners will be willing to give up Pay TV operator STB distribution in order to go direct-to-consumer, now or in the future?
- For major content owners, will apps onboarding/STB integration deals eventually replace channel carriage deals, giving them more control over the UX, and maybe data?
- Does piracy represent an unavoidable but sustainable ‘cost-of-business’ for the content industry, or could it break the content business model?
- What are the potential business and marketing win-wins if a streaming content owner is willing to be ‘re-aggregated’ by a super-aggregator?
- How much content are studios going to sell to their own D2C services, or repatriate from existing SVOD/AVOD partners, and what are the implications for other channels?
- What is the trajectory for distributor/studio vertical integration; What is the evidence that studio/platform groups are benefiting from their fusion, and are there any downsides?
- What can we do to counter live sports piracy, how effective are individual anti-piracy initiatives, and is industry-wide anti-piracy collaboration essential or a nice-to-have?
- Is there any serious consideration in the Pay TV industry (like among smaller operators) to becoming OTT aggregators whilst ditching traditional channel curation, retail and carriage?