Founder and Chief Analyst, nScreen Media
Unifying linear and digital advertising
Wednesday 18 March 2020
16:00 – 17:30
Depending on the demographic target, broadcast linear TV may not be enough to generate the cost-effective reach that advertisers need, which means more effort must go into finding consumers across digital properties, whether that is BVOD or non-broadcaster ad-supported streaming services. With linear and digital increasingly used together, this session looks at how we unify these ‘channels’ and establish holistic planning and campaign management. We also consider how marketers can make TV and digital work together more effectively.
Removing the SVOD audience blind-spot – and why it matters to content owners
- The growth of SVOD viewing and how it created a blind-spot for a television industry lacking independent audience measurement
- Solving the problem, including how to determine the most viewed programmes, SVOD vs linear audience share and unique viewers delivered by SVOD, etc.
- Giving content owners a full picture on where consumers view their content in all windows, and how the insights can help optimise distribution (and monetisation) strategies.
How Sky Media enables simpler execution and management of cross-platform TV advertising
- About the Sky Analytics online portal, giving buyers direct access to define, plan, price, evaluate and optimise TV campaigns in one place
- Our initial convergence of on-demand and addressable TV advertising, and what it means for buyers on a day-to-day basis
- The roadmap, including cross-platform reporting using CFlight and the integration of broadcast linear TV, leading to a one-stop shop
- Planning, reporting and evaluation features, including attribution of brand outcomes to ad exposure, helping to inform future planning.
Fireside Chat: Taking digital advertising to another level at Channel 4 and BT Sport
Channel 4 pioneered the use of first-party data for programmatic, one-to-one addressable advertising across digital VOD and live streaming, and BT Sport has delivered targeted ads into live streams at huge scale, covering tier-one sports like the UEFA Champions League and Premier League.
These two services share a number of characteristics: both harness server side dynamic advertising insertion to achieve a genuinely broadcast-grade user experience; both make use of innovative ‘pre-fetch’ technology that anticipates the digital ad break and stitches together the advertising pod, spreading out the deluge of ad calls to the decisioning system to reduce spikes and so cope with scale measured in millions of users; both services feature extensive integrations between broadcast playout systems and the digital delivery; the ad inventory on both services is sold by 4Sales, the Channel 4 sales house.
Here is a rare chance to ‘look under the hood’ at two world-class digital, targeted DAI implementations, both of which are maximising viewer satisfaction at the same time that they maximise programmatic/addressable fill rates and therefore advertising yield. You will also hear how advertisers have made use of the advanced capabilities and the commercial outcomes for everyone concerned.
Panel: Embracing linear and digital as a single audience and advertising opportunity
- How soon before most ad buyers need BVOD, OTT or addressable to top up the audiences they can reach cost-effectively via broadcast linear?
- What are the barriers to using connected TV more widely for advertising, and how do we overcome them; Any transparency or fraud concerns if all television set viewing migrates to CTV?
- How do media owners help an advertiser manage frequency across all screens; What innovations will make it easier to demonstrate de-duplicated multiplatform reach?
- What is the low-hanging fruit if marketers want to combine digital and TV more effectively – identifying linear homes exposed to ads and then targeting them again in digital…?
- How can media owners link business outcomes – like website traffic or sales – to ad exposure, and do so quickly; Is there an opportunity to optimise inflight campaigns using attribution data?
- OpenAP will enable holistic planning of linear and digital across multiple broadcast groups, with a unified campaign view including unduplicated reach, from a centralised marketplace – is this the benchmark for convergence?
Moderated by Cadi Jones, Commercial Director, Beeswax
SUBSCRIBE FOR EVENT UPDATES
We won't send you spam or share your details with others.